Thursday, September 9, 2010

They say I look like her...

...Omonoba...
Our People Say:
Yoruba: Ọmọ ẹni kì í gbọnsẹ̀ ká fi eèsún nù ú nídìí.
English: One does not, after one's child defecates, wipe the child's anus with the abrasive elephant grass. Yoruba Proverb.
....................................................................................................................

Abasifreke: That foolish woman. She is the cause of father’s paralysis and she is not alive to be his sufferer.  If she were alive, at least we wouldn’t have so much responsibility of taking care of father in this state. We are but…

Abasiekeme: How dare you speak of the dead as such, this girl? How dare you speak of our mother as foolish? As you speak, her body shrugs and turns in the grave. If you sleep in peace tonight and the dreams you dream are sweet, then her spirit must be asleep.

Abasifreke: I do not wish to disrespect her but everyone in this town speaks of her as having been a very wicked and hardened woman…

Abasiekeme: Who and who are everyone?

Abasifreke: Everyone                         

Abasiekeme: You are indeed very and foolish. Everyone? Or father’s family and mother’s enemies? How could you take these as reliable sources irrespective of how many times I have tried to convince you that our mother was a very good woman. Yes, you were very young - a day old - when she died. She died as a result of complications from your birth and you do not even praise her at least in your heart. You are a child, but oh no, you have seen your period for a year now.

Abasifreke: I might have been young but I am old enough now to see father’s paralysis.

Abasiekeme: I don’t justify her mistakes, but they were few.

Abasifreke:  Sister ‘Ekeme, you speak as if you can convince everyone that papa’s paralysis was due to something else.

Abasiekeme: You speak of ‘everyone’ again. Shut up this child! Mother’s anger led her to throw the pot of  water at father. How many times do you want me to tell you this? The water wasn’t hot, she acted irrationally but it was temperamental.

Abasifreke: And the pot; those ones we use to cook for a lot of people - those steel pots? And of course, the pot found its way to his knee and broke its cap. Sister, do you know how many versions of this story there are out there?

Abasiekeme: I have pleaded with you severally to close your ears to those stories. The ones which matter are those of father and I. If father has asked that his wife’s over-reaction be forgiven and her soul be let to rest in peace, what exactly fuels your persistence?

Abasifreke: They say I look her her. The pictures say so too.

Abasiekeme: And so? She was beautiful and that, you are.

Abasifreke: Hmm, and her traits, did I take them?

"Abasifreke...Abasifreke..."

Abasiekeme: Papa is calling you. Go and see what he needs you for.

5 comments:

  1. The two names being so similar confused me a little. But good writing as usual. I don't think I've seen just dialogue from you before...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and I'm learning new ways to write, thanks for a refreshing Saturday morning read!

    AfroMuse, get me a dialogue or else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha... indeed the two names are very funny and perhaps confusing. lol

    I love the story sha. U and village settings. lol

    - LDP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, i think she's like her mum.

    Nicey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, usually parents name their children with similar prefixes or suffixes. So, I tried to capture the reality of that.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are my maggi!